"WALTHAM ST. LAURENCE, a parish in the hundred of Wargrave, county Berks, 4½ miles S.W. of Maidenhead, its post town, and 3 from Twyford. The village is situated near the Great Western railway. At Wargrave a court-baron is held annually, and at Weycock Highrood are traces of a Roman camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford, value £211. The church, dedicated to St. Laurence, was thoroughly restored in 1847. There are several monuments, particularly one to Sir Henry Neville. The parochial charities produce about £74 per annum. There is an endowed National school. Lord Braybrooke is lord of the manor."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.