"WANTAGE, a parish and ancient market town in the hundred of Wantage, county Berks, 22 miles N.W. of Reading, and 60 W. of London. Wantage Road is a station on the Great Western railway. It is situated near the Vale of the White Horse, on the Wilts and Berks canal, and a branch of the river Ock. The parish includes the hamlets of Charlton, Grove, and West Lockinge. Alfred the Great is said to have been born here. After the Conquest it was held by Roger Bigod, who gave it to the noble family of Fitzwarrens, who held it for a considerable period, and obtained for it a grant of a market from Henry III. In 1849 a millenary festival was held here in commemoration of the birth of King Alfred, when funds were subscribed for the rebuilding of the grammar-school, and a medal was struck in honour of the jubilee." (more ...).
"CHARLTON, a hamlet and chapelry in the parish of Wantage, hundred of Wantage, in the county of Berks, 1 mile N.E. of Wantage, close upon the Berks and Wilts canal. Here is a meet for the Vale of White Horse hounds. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Wantage, in the diocese of Oxford, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Windsor."
"GROVE, a hamlet and district parish in the hundred of Wantage, county Berks, 1 mile N. of Wantage, its post town, and 7 miles W. of Harwell. The Wantage Road station, on the Great Western railway, is within a short distance of the village. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Oxford, value £83, in the patronage of the Vicar of Wantage. The church is a small building erected in 1832. Here is a National school, held in the old chapel, which has been repaired for this purpose." [Since 1832, Grove has been a separate parish]
"WEST LOCKINGE, a hamlet in the parish of Wantage, in the hundred of Wantage, county Berks.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003. Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards, from Berkshire FHS, and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.
|Independent (Back Street Chapel) , Wantage, Independent|
|Chain Hill Cemetery, Wantage, Cemetery|
|St John Vianney, Wantage, Roman Catholic|
Further information about some of the churches can be found below:
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wantage to another place.
- Wantage was in the hundred of Wantage
You can see the administrative areas in which Wantage has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU390870 (Lat/Lon: 51.580518, -1.438561), Wantage which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)