"WARGRAVE, a parish and post town in the hundred of the same name, county Berks, 2 miles from the Great Western railway station, and 3 S.E. of Henley. The village is situated on the Thames at the ferry. It was formerly a market town under the bishops of Winchester. In the reign of Edward VI. it was given to the Nevilles, of Billingbear. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £226. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains a monument to T. Day, Esq., author of "Sandford and Merton," and a W. window. It has been restored. The parochial charities produce about £296, of which £241 go to Pigott's school for both sexes. The Wokingham Union poorhouse is in this parish."
"BIRCHET'S GREEN, (or Burchetts Green), a small village in the parishes of Wargrave and Hurley, in the county of Berks, 8 miles from Reading, and 4 from Twyford station on the Great Western railway. It is situated on a commanding site, adjoining the beautiful demesne of Sir East Clayton East, Bart., and enjoys an extensive view over the surrounding country.
"UPPER CULHAM, a tything in the parish of Wargrave, hundred of Binfield, in the county of Berks, 2 miles E. of Henley-on-Thames.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards from Berkshire FHS (members only) and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.
|St Mary the Virgin, Wargrave, Church of England|
|St Paul's Mission Church (Tin Tabernacle), Warren Row, Church of England|
|St Peter, Knowl Hill, Church of England|
|Knowl Hill, Strict Baptist|
|Independent Dissenters Chapel, Crazies Hill, Independent|
|Wargrave Chapel (was Bolton Independent Chapel?), Wargrave, Congregational|
|Our Lady of Peace, Wargrave, Roman Catholic|
Further information about some of the churches can be found below:
- St Mary’s church was burnt down in June 1914 by suffragettes, with only the outer walls and the west brick tower remaining. It was subsequently restored. The BRO have a reprint of a newspaper article amongst the parish records, as well as photographs of the resulting damage (ref. D/P145/28/15 and 14 respectively).
- Congregational Church (Wargrave Chapel) - closed, now a private home, according to the estate agent's blurb: "Exposed beams, leaded light windows and high ceilings are just some of the features of this striking Grade II listed property situated in the heart of Wargrave village. Built in 1835 as a chapel, the property has since been extended and is now a beautiful detached home offering more than 2,000 square feet of living space."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wargrave to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wargrave has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU796803 (Lat/Lon: 51.516025, -0.854243), Wargrave which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Wargrave was in the Wokingham Union. For more information, see Poorhouses.