"WEST HANNEY, (or West Hanney with Lyford) a parish in the hundred of Wantage, county Berks, 4 miles N.E. of Wantage, and 7 S.W. of Abingdon. The Great Western railway passes in the vicinity, and has a station at Wantage Road, about 2 miles from the village. The parish, which is situated on the banks of the river Ock, comprises the township of East Hanney, and the chapelry of Lyford. The soil is fertile, and land chiefly arable. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value with the curacy* of Lyford annexed, £205, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The church, dedicated to St. James, is a Norman structure, with a square embattled tower containing seven bells. In the chancel are several ancient brasses, chiefly belonging to the Ashcombe family. The earliest is one of a priest, bearing date 1370. The charities produce £420 per annum, including the endowment of Ashcombe's almshouses. There is a National school for boys and girls, recently erected.
"EAST HANNEY, a township in the parish of West Hanney, hundred of Wantage, county Berks, 7 miles S.W. of Abingdon, and 3 N. of Wantage. The land, which is very rich, is almost entirely arable. The village is considerable, and most of the inhabitants are engaged in agriculture. The Wantage Road station of the Great Western railway is about three-quarters of a mile from the village.
"LYFORD, a chapelry in the parish of West Hanney, hundred of Ock, county Berks, 4 miles N. of Wantage, its post town, and 8 S.W. of Abingdon. It is situated on the river Ock, and the Wantage Road station on the Great Western line of railway is nearly 3 miles S.E. of the village. The surface is flat, and the land fertile, being in general a deep rich black earth. The tithes were commuted for land in 1801 under an Enclosure Act. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Oxford, in the patronage of Worcester College, Oxford. Almshouses for fourteen poor persons of this parish were founded in 1603 by Oliver Ayshcombe."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards from Berkshire FHS (members only) and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.
Further information about some of the churches can be found below:
- East Hanney St James the Less has been sold and is in private use
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from West Hanney to another place.
- West Hanney was in the hundred of Wantage
You can see the administrative areas in which West Hanney has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU401928 (Lat/Lon: 51.632588, -1.422025), West Hanney which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
West Hanney was in the Wantage Union. For more information, see Poorhouses.