"WEST WOODHAY, a parish in the hundred of Kintbury Eagle, county Berks, 6 miles S.E. of Hungerford. It was formerly a market town under the Beauchamps of St. Amand, but is now a small village situated on the Hampshire border, and is chiefly the property of the Rev. John Sloper, who is lord of the manor, and resides at West Woodhall House, built by Inigo Jones in 1636, and remarkable for its noble staircase and drawing-room, hung with family portraits, commanding a view of Windsor Castle, 36 miles distant. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £250. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards, from Berkshire FHS, and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.