"WYTHAM, a parish in the hundred of Hormer, county Berks, 3 miles N.W. of Oxford. It is situated near the Thames at the foot of a hill, on the summit of which was a castle built by King Coenwulf, and taken by Offa, King of the Mercians, in 758. Wytham Abbey, built about the reign of Henry VI., on the site of a Saxon nunnery, is the seat of the Earl of Abingdon. The old Berkshire hounds meet here. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £306. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was originally built by the monks of Abingdon, but has been recently rebuilt by the present Earl of Abingdon, who is lord of the manor. Some interesting fragments of the venerable house of Cumnor have been carefully preserved."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards, from Berkshire FHS, and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.