by Colin Hinson ©2013
"ABINGTON PIGOTT'S, (or Abington in the clay), a parish in the hundred of Armingford, in the county of Cambridge, 4 miles north-west of Royston station, and 42 from London. It is situated on a branch of the river Cam. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £310. The patronage is with M. G. F. Pigott, Esq., of Abington Hall, who is the representative of a family which has held the manor from the time of the Conquest. The church is dedicated to St. Michael, and has nave, chancel, south porch, and tower, with two bells. The register extends as far back as 1600. There was formerly a market on Fridays, granted to the Bassingbourns about the year 1335.
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of St. Michael are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office for the years 1793-1976. These inscriptions are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Abington Pigotts is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The church of St. Michael is a small but ancient building of clunch and rubble, in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch vestry on the north side and an embattled western tower, restored in 1924, containing 4 bells: in the church are memorials to John Piggott 1613 and 1617, Mary Foster Pigott 1816, and other members of that family from 1827 to 1884, and also to Henry and Elizabeth Lynn 1662-3: there are 200 sittings.
- The register dates from the year 1653. [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- There is further information and photographs of the Church on Ben and Mark's Cambridgeshire Churches website.
- Church of England
- Abington Pigotts, St Michael's: Records of baptisms 1729-1923, marriages 1729-1954, burials 1729-1987, banns for 1755-1811 and 1824-1988 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives.The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1641, 1661-84 and 1712-1871 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. The original registers between 1652-1729 were lost. Indexes to transcripts exist in Cambridgeshire Archives for main printed registers between 1652-1812, transcripts checked against the bishop's transcript but neccessarily for the whole period exist for marriages 1599-1640, 1661-81, 1712-53, and 1813-37. Transcripts exist for baptisms and burials 1807-31 and marriages 1807-23.
- A transcript of the AbingtonPigotts parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the AbingtonPigotts parish entries from 1929 Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Abington Pigotts to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL306445 (Lat/Lon: 52.083456, -0.095449), Abington Pigotts which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Abington Piggots War Memorial has been transcribed and and the men researched, it stands in the grounds of the church to the right of the main gate as you enter.