by Colin Hinson ©2013
"BARTON, a parish in the hundred of Wetherley, in the county of Cambridge, 3 miles to the south-west of Cambridge, its post town. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £156, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Peter, and contains several monuments and a brass of the Martins."
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of St. Peter are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office for the years 1690-1947. These inscriptions are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Barton is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- "The church of St. Peter is an ancient edifice of stone in the Late Decorated style, and consists of large chancel, long nave, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles and turret and containing 3 bells: a carved oak screen of Perpendicular date, enriched with shields of arms, separates the nave from the chancel: there are brasses in the chancel to John Martin and Margaret, his wife, dated 1593, a piscina and an aumbry : the building was restored in 1885, at a cost of £1,350, and re-opened after extensive repairs in March, 1886, and affords 230 sittings. The register dates from the year 1687."
- "A small Baptist chapel was erected here in 1894." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- There is a description of St. Peter's church on the Cambridgeshire Churches website.
- Church of England
- Barton, St. Peter: Records of baptisms 1688-1799, 1813-81, marriages 1688-1989, burials 1689-1963, banns for 1754-1807, 1823-45 and 1868-1874 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives.The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1600-41 and 1662-1866 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexes to transcripts exist in Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms, marriages, banns and burials 1600-1851.
- The Barton Parish Records 1600-1851 are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- A transcript of the Barton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Barton parish entries from 1929 Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Barton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL405557 (Lat/Lon: 52.181664, 0.053556), Barton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Barton War Memorial has been transcribed and and the men researched, it takes the form of a vast stained glass window in St Peters Church.