by Colin Hinson ©2013
"BOXWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Papworth, in the county of Cambridge, 8 miles to the north-west of Cambridge, and 3 south of Swavesey railway station. Caxton is its post town. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £459, in the patronage of G. Thornhill, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Peter, and contains a monument to Dr. Nicholas Saunderson, the blind mathematician, and professor at Cambridge University, who died here in 1759. There are some charities of small value, and a village school, supported by subscription, instituted in 1839. The soil is stiff clay, with a blue gault subsoil."
- The Monumental Inscriptions for the churchyard of St. Peter 1653-1980 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. These are available, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Boxworth is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- "The church of St Peter is an ancient edifice of flint and stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, south aisle, north and south porches and a lofty embattled tower containing a clock and one bell: in the church is a monument to Nicholas Saunderson LL.D., F.R.S. the celebrated blind professor of mathematics in the University of Cambridge, who died 19th April, 1759: the church was thoroughly restored in 1868-9, and affords 150 sittings. The register from the year 1558." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- There is further information and photographs of the Church on Ben and Mark's Cambridgeshire Churches website.
- Church of England
- Boxworth, St. Peter: The parish registers for baptisms 1588-1892, marriages 1589-1986, burials 1588-1812 and banns 1754-1814, 1839-60, 1875-1948 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Index transcripts of baptisms 1588-1812, marriages 1588-1836 and burials 1588-1875 are available in the Cambridgeshire Archives.. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1686 and 1704-1863 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- A transcript of the Boxworth parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Boxworth parish entries from 1929 Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Boxworth to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL347642 (Lat/Lon: 52.259482, -0.027839), Boxworth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Boxworth War Memorial has been transcribed and and the men researched. Inside St Peter's Church there is a framed Roll of Honour showing the names of 40 men who "joined his majesty's forces from Boxworth 1914 - 1919". There is one D.S.O. (Major Douglas Kirke Smith), one M.C. Edmund Basil Thornhill and one M.M. (Harry Dodson). The 6 men who did not come back are annotated individually. In addition there is a brass plaque in the church commemorating the six casualties. The memorial features a Union Jack crossed with the flag of St George. Finally, there is a WW2 plaque in the church "In affectionate remembrance of the men of Boxworth who gave their lives 1939 - 1945".