Cambridge St Andrew The Great
"CAMBRIDGE ST. ANDREW THE GREAT, a parish in the town of Cambridge."
- Monumental inscriptions in the churchyard for the years 1618-1916 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives and are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search). A register of graves in Mill Road cemetery for the years 1848-1958 also exists.
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1841 and 1851 Census for Cambridge is available in indexed form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- The Church of St. Andrew the Great, Cambridge
- "The church of St. Andrew the Great, in St. Andrew's street, opposite Christ's College, is a modern building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 8 bells: in the church is a mural monument to Captain James Cook, the circumnavigator of the world, d. 14 Feb. 1497; his son Hugh, of Christ's College, d. 1793; and to James Cook, commander R.N. d. 25 Jan. 1794; the deaths of his son Nathaniel, midshipman H.M.S. Thunderer," lost in a storm 16 Oct. 1780, and of three other children, who died in their infancy, are also recorded; his widow Elizabeth, who died at Clapham, 13 May, 1835, was also buried here: there is also a mural tablet to Henry Gunning esq. M.A. of Christ's College, upwards of 50 years Esquire Bedell in the University, who died at Brighton in 1859; and a memorial to Christopher Rose, alderman, who rebuilt the church in the 17th century, and died 30 Aug. 1664: the organ was re-opened after enlargement on Sunday, 24 Dec. 1882, and choir stalls were added in 1895: there are 816 sittings, of which 167 are free. The register dates from the year 1564. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £225, including 36 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Ely, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Harry Smith M.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge." [Kelly's Directory - 1900]
- Church of England
- Cambridge St Andrew the Great: Records of baptisms 1635-1984, marriages 1635-1984, burials 1635-1982, and banns 1754-1933 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1600-40, 1662-95, 1712-1858 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms and burials 1635-1860 and marriages 1600-1860. Transcripts of the registers are available on microfiche for the years 1600-1860 from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society bookstall.
- Please see the Cambridge page for the gazetteers.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cambridge St Andrew The Great to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL450584 (Lat/Lon: 52.204758, 0.12048), Cambridge St Andrew The Great which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Cambridge St Andrew the Great War Memorial has been transcribed and and the men researched.