Cambridge St Andrew The Less
"CAMBRIDGE ST. ANDREW THE LESS, (otherwise Barnwell) a parish in the town of Cambridge.
"STOURBRIDGE, (or Sturbridge) a chapelry in the parish of Cambridge St. Andrew the Less, (or Barnwell,) hundred of Flendish, county Cambridge, 1 mile north-east of Cambridge. There are remains of the hospital of St. Mary Magdalen for lepers, the chapel of which has been converted into a barn. It is chiefly noted for the fair which commences on the 18th September, and lasts till the 7th October, the opening of which is proclaimed by the vice-chancellor, doctors, and proctors of the University of Cambridge, and by the mayor and aldermen; the staple commodities exposed for sale are leather, timber, cheese, hops, wool, and cattle, and on the 25th horses.
- Monumental inscriptions in the churchyard for the years 1621-1858 and St Andrew the Less, Mill Road Cemetery, reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives and are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search).
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Cambridge is available in indexed form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- The Church of St. Andrew the Less, Cambridge
- "The church of St. Andrew the Less, on the Newmarket road, formerly the parish church, but now subordinated to Christ Church, is a small but ancient building of stone in the Lancet style, consisting of chancel and nave under a single roof, south porch and a western belfry containing one small bell: the eastern triplet is a very graceful example of the style, and is adorned within with slender shafts and moulded arches: in the church are many memorials and monumental inscriptions to the Butler family, who once possessed the property: there are 220 sittings, 200 being free. The registers, dating from 1753, are kept at Christ Church." [Kelly's Directory - 1900]
- There is further information and photographs of the Church on Ben and Mark's Cambridgeshire Churches website.
- Church of England
- Cambridge St Andrew the Less: Records of baptisms 1753-1947, marriages 1754-1957, burials 1754-1913, and banns 1754-88, 1824-88, 1899-1947 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Baptisms for the years 1886-1904 reside in the Abbey Church. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1639, 1661-91, 1702-29 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for Bishops Transcripts 1599-1640, 1661-92, 1703-30, baptisms 1753-1851, burials 1754-1851 and marriages 1599-1837.
- A transcript of the CambridgeStAndrewTheLess parish entries from Stepehen Whatley's 1750 Topographical Gazetteer of England,
- A transcript of the CambridgeStAndrewTheLess parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cambridge St Andrew The Less to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL463589 (Lat/Lon: 52.208906, 0.139706), Cambridge St Andrew The Less which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)