Cambridge St Mary The Great
CAMBRIDGE ST. MARY THE GREAT
"CAMBRIDGE ST. MARY THE GREAT, a parish in the town of Cambridge."
- Monumental inscriptions in the churchyard for the years 1576-1858 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives and are available, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search).
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Cambridge is available in indexed form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- The Church of St. Mary the Great, Cambridge
- "The University church of St. Mary the Great, which stands in the centre of the town, opposite the Senate House and University Library, is a spacious edifice in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, clerestorled nave; aisles; south porch and a lofty western tower with octagonal buttressed turrets, and containing 12 bells and a clock, which replaced the older one, erected in 1794, and presented in 1892 in memory of the Rev. H. R. Luard D.D. vicar 1860-87; the porch, a reproduction from drawings of one removed in 1805, was the gift of the late W. H. Hattersley esq.; a spacious gallery surrounds the interior on the north, west and south sides, and there are a number of monuments, including one of the Jacobean period, with bust, to Dr Butler: the armorial glass in the windows, presented by S. Sandars esq. commemorates Henry VII. and forty other subscribers to the building of the church: here the University sermons are preached and are attended by the University authorities, heads of houses, professors and the members of the University generally; the heads of houses and professors sit in the chancel, masters of arts and bachelors in the body of the church, and the undergraduates in the gallery: the bell of this church is tolled during a quarter of an hour from six in the morning and again from nine in the evening respectively: the church was restored during the period 1861-92, at a cost of £7,400, and affords 1,400 sittings. The register dates from the year 1557. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £73, arising from 82 acres of glebe, in the gift of Trinity College, and held since 1887 by the Rev. William Cunningham D.D. of that college, and hon. canon of Ely and rural dean of Cambridge." [Kelly's Directory - 1900]
- Church of England
- Cambridge St Mary the Great: Records of baptisms 1559-1974, marriages 1559-1967, burials 1559-1926, and banns 1754-1802, 1817-1959 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1641, 1662-78, 1712-27, 1749-1877 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms, marriages and burials for 1559-1851. The transcripts of the parish registers 1559-1851 are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- Please see the Cambridge page for the gazetteers.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cambridge St Mary The Great to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL448584 (Lat/Lon: 52.20481, 0.117556), Cambridge St Mary The Great which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Cambridge St Mary the Great's War Memorial has been transcribed and and the men researched.