Cambridge St Mary The Less
"CAMBRIDGE ST. MARY THE LESS, a parish in the town of Cambridge."
- Monumental inscriptions in the churchyard for the years 1605-1863 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives and are available, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search).
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Cambridge is available in indexed form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- The Church of St. Mary the Less, Cambridge
- "The church of St. Mary the Less, adjoining St. Peter' s College, in Trumpington street, is an ancient building of stone, in the Decorated style, supposed to have been designed by Alan de Walsingham, architect of the Lady chapel of Ely cathedral, and consists of chancel, nave and vestry: the east window is enriched with exquisite tracery and filled with stained glass, presented in 1892 by J Hamblin Smith esq.: the church was restored about 1856, under the direction of the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott and further restoration was carried out in 1891 at a cost of £1,100: the ancient church of St. Peter, which stood on the same site until about 1325, gave its name to and was used as the chapel of St. Peter's College: the present edifice, dedicated 3 Nov. 1352, to St. Mary of Grace, continued to be so used until 1632: John Holbrook, a famous mathematician and master of Peter' s College. 1418-31, and Dr. Matthew Wren, Bishop of Ely, 1638-67, and previously Master of the College, were buried here there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £80, in the gift of St. Peter's College, and held since 1887 by the Rev. Andrew James Campbell Allen M.A. of that college. A parish room has been built at the west end of the church." [Kelly's Directory - 1900]
- Church of England
- Cambridge St Mary the Less: Records of baptisms 1557-1842, marriages 1558-1944, burials 1557-1854, and banns 1754-1856 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1597-1674, 1702, 1712-1860 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1557-1890, marriages and burials for 1558-1890. The parish register transcripts for the years 1557-1890 are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- Please see the Cambridge page for the gazetteers.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cambridge St Mary The Less to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL448579 (Lat/Lon: 52.200318, 0.117342), Cambridge St Mary The Less which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Cambridge St Mary the Less's War Memorial has been transcribed and and the men researched.