Cambridge St Michael
"CAMBRIDGE ST. MICHAEL, a parish in the town of Cambridge."
- Monumental inscriptions in the churchyard for the years 1599-1851 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives and are available, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Bookstall. A register of graves in the Mill Road cemetery also exists for the years 1849-1906..
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Cambridge is available in indexed form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- St. Michael's Church, Cambridge
- "St. Michael's church, in Trinity street, built in 1324 by Hervey de Stanton, is an edifice in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel with aisles, nave, aisles, north porch and a western tower, with plain parapet containing 4 bells: the chancel retains triple sedilia and a piscina, and is fitted with ancient choir stalls of oak: in the wall by the vestry door is a small and curious brass, and there is a picture of King Charles I. presented by Charles II. at the Restoration, and another of the Holy Family, a monument to Professor Scholefield and several other memorials here was buried, in 1337, Hervey de Stanton, the founder of Michael House, the oldest part of Trinity College and on 24 Nov. 1549, Paul Fagius, one of the Fathers of the Reformation: the south aisle also has a piscina: the chancel and aisles were decorated under the direction of the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A.: there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value from 25 acres of glebe and grant from Trinity College about £140, in the gift of Trinity College, and held since 1896 by the Rev. Arthur Hennel Simms M.A. of that college: there is no vicarage house." [Kelly's Directory - 1900]
- Church of England
- Cambridge St Michael: Records of baptisms 1538-1913, marriages 1539-2008, burials 1539-1948, and banns 1754-1913 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1600-42, 1662-82, 1712-1869 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the parish registers 1538-1837. The transcripts of the parish registers 1538-1837 are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- Please see the Cambridge page for the gazetteers.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cambridge St Michael to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL448585 (Lat/Lon: 52.205709, 0.117598), Cambridge St Michael which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)