Cambridge St Peter
"CAMBRIDGE ST. PETER, a parish in the town of Cambridge."
- Monumental inscriptions in the churchyard for the years 1386, 1696-1831 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives and are available, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Bookstall. Burials for St Peter are also to be found in the cemtery at St Giles..
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Cambridge is available in indexed form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- St. Peter's Church, Cambridge
- "The parish of St. Peter, by a provisional order which came into operation on March 25th, 1885, was amalgamated with that of St. Giles. The church, on Castle hill, is an ancient edifice of stone in the Norman, Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of nave, 29 feet long and 16 feet wide, and a small embattled tower with spire containing one bell, cast at the foundry of Peter van den Gheyn, of Louvain, in 1560 : the entrance is on the south side through a Norman doorway, and there is an early and curious font, consisting of a square basin, carved on a low, moulded circular base. The registers, which date from 1586, are kept at St. Giles's church. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of St. Giles." [Kelly's Directory - 1929] The parish was united with St. Giles in 1971.
- Church of England
- Cambridge St Peter: Records of baptisms 1586-1645, 1658-1844, marriages 1586-1758, 1960-71, burials 1586-1908 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives later entries and marriages 1758-1960 are at Saint Giles. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1835 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridge Record Office for the parish registers 1586-1758.
- Please see the Cambridge page for the gazetteers.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cambridge St Peter to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL445590 (Lat/Lon: 52.210279, 0.113425), Cambridge St Peter which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)