by Colin Hinson ©2013
"CASTLE CAMPS, a parish in the hundred of Chilford, in the county of Cambridge, 5 miles to the south-east of Linton, and 16 from Cambridge, its post town. It is situated on the confines of Suffolk and Essex, and was the site of a magnificent castle, founded by Aubrey de Vere, to whom the lordship was granted by William the Conqueror. The castle continued to be the seat of the De Veres, earls of Oxford, till near the end of the 16th century, when it was purchased by Thomas Sutton, founder of the Charterhouse, London, and was given by him as an endowment to that foundation. The moat still exists, and some small portions of the building, which are attached to a farmhouse. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £570, in the patronage of the Governors of the Charterhouse, London. The church, a Gothic building with a square tower, is dedicated to All Saints, and contains monuments of the Dayrells and of Chief Baron Reynolds. The Independents have a chapel here, and there is a charity school principally supported by the incumbent. The parochial charities are of trifling value. The parish, which includes a tract of common land, is supposed to have derived its name from a large Danish encampment which anciently existed in this neighbourhood."
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of All Saints are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office for the years 1610-1987. These inscriptions are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Castle Camps is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The Haverhill Family History Group are transcribing the 1891 census of which part is for Castle Camps.
- "The church of All Saints is an edifice of flint and rubble, with stone dressings, in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a very fine peal of 5 bells: in the church is a marble monument to Sir James Reynolds kt. appointed a Baron of the Exchequer in 1740 and knighted 23 May, 1745; he died 20 May, 1747: the old tower fell down in 1850 and was rebuilt in 1851 in the Decorated style: the porch was rebuilt in 1855 and the chancel and nave restored in 1883: the church was restored during the period 1876-89: the roof of the nave was reconstructed in 1915: there are 246 sittings, of which two-thirds are free. The register dates from the year 1565."
- "There is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1856, with sittings for 350 persons." [Kelly's Directory- Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Castle Camps, All Saints: Records of baptisms 1563-1885, marriages 1567-1954, burials 1567-1960 and banns for 1756-1813, 1901-53 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1600-1865 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcriptions of baptisms, marriages and burials for the years 1563-1845 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives and these transcripts, 1563-1845, are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- Baptist/Congregational: Records of baptisms 1817-1933, marriages 1894-1917 and burials for 1826-75 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives.
- A transcript of the CastleCamps parish entries from Stepehen Whatley's 1750 Topographical Gazetteer of England,
- A transcript of the CastleCamps parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the CastleCamps parish entries from 1929 Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Castle Camps to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL632433 (Lat/Lon: 52.064035, 0.379339), Castle Camps which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Castle Camps War Memorial has been transcribed and and the men researched.