CONINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"CONINGTON, a parish in the hundred of PAPWORTH, county of CAMBRIDGE, 3 miles (S. by E.) from St. Ives,- containing 202 inhabitants. The living is a rec'tdry, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £9.15.10., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is an endowed school. Traces of the moat surrounding the site of an ancient fortress, called Bruce Castle, may be discerned."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]