by Colin Hinson ©2013
"COTON, a parish in the hundred of Wetherley, in the county of Cambridge, 2 miles west of Cambridge, and 3½ from the Cambridge station on the Great Eastern railway. It is a small agricultural village. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £213 in the patronage of Catherine Hall, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, stands in the centre of the village. It is in the early English style of architecture, the chancel being Norman. The church consists of nave, aisles, tower with spires and two porches. It contains the tomb of Downes, who translated the Apocrypha. The charities amount to £37 per annum. Here has recently been built a National school for boys and girls. The provost and Fellows of King's College are lords of a manor in this parish, but the Master and Fellows of St. Catherine's College are lords paramount."
- The Monumental Inscriptions for St Peter's churchyard, 1725-1980, are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office. These inscriptions are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Coton is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- St. Peter's Church, Coton
- "The church of St. Peter, which stands in the centre of the village, is a small building of stone and flint, chiefly in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chan-cel, nave, aisles, north and south porches and a Per-pendicular embattled western tower, carried on arches and finished with pinnacles and spire; it contains 3 bells: the font, of Norman work, consists of a square basin on a circular stem: the church was restored in 1880, and affords 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538."
- "There is a Baptist chapel here with 120 sittings."
[Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
- Church of England
- Coton, St. Peter: Records of baptisms 1538-1890, marriages 1542-1989, burials 1539-1992 and banns 1755-1977 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1859 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for marriages 1542-1837. Transcripts of the parish registers 1599-1845 are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- A transcript of the Coton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Coton parish entries from 1929 Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Coton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL410587 (Lat/Lon: 52.20849, 0.062112), Coton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Coton War Memorial has been transcribed and researched.