Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Fowlmere

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.


Primary tabs

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013

"FOWLMERE, (or Fulmer or Foulmire), a parish in the hundred of Thriplow, county Cambridge, 5 miles north-east of Royston, its post town, and 9 south of Cambridge. It is situated in the neighbourhood of Brent Ditch, and on the heath adjoining, a great number of aquatic and bog plants are found. The land is chiefly arable. The village, which is considerable, was once a market town. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £598. The church is a stone edifice dedicated to St. Mary. There are charities producing about £11 per annum. The Independents have a chapel. There is a large warren.

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]


  • "The cemetery, on the Shepreth road, comprises 1 acre of ground, given by the late F. M. Beldam-Johns esq. and has a chapel, erected in 1912; it is under the control of the Parish Council."
    [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
  • The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of St. Mary for the years 1724-1971 are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office and are available, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)





Church History

  • "The church of St. Mary is a fine structure of flint in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisle, transepts, north porch and a lofty embattled central tower containing 5 bells; there are two memorial windows, and there is also a monument to the Mitchell family, dated 1745 and 1748: the church was restored during the period 1870-90, at a cost of about £3,000, and has 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1561."
  • "The Congregational chapel was erected in 1780: in 1870 an apse was added and an organ purchased: the chapel underwent a thorough restoration in 1878, at a cost of about £1,100, this sum including the erection of a turret containing a clock and bell: there are 409 sittings. In the village is a cross of Portland stone, erected in 1919 as a memorial to the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18."
    [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

Church Records

  • Church of England
    • Fowlmere, St. Mary: Records of baptisms 1562-1994, marriages 1562-1650, 1669-1991, burials 1561-1651, 1661-1999, and banns 1754-1815 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, indexed transcripts exist for baptisms, marriages and burials 1561-1991.The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1600-41 and 1663-1868 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. The parish register transcripts 1561-1991 are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
  • Independent
    • Independent Church: Records exist for baptisms 1812-37 (on microfilm) in the Cambridgeshire Archives with indexed transcripts of the same plus monumental inscriptions from the churchyard for the years 1840-1944.


Ask for a calculation of the distance from Fowlmere to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.


Military History



  • Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), and 1811-1948.