Fulbourn St Vigor
"FULBOURN ST. VIGOR, a parish in the town of Fulbourn."
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Fulbourn is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- "The church of St. Vigor is a building of stone, chiefly in the Decorated style, but with some Early English and Perpendicular features, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles, south transept or chantry, south porch opening eastward, with parvise, and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells; in the chantry is a high tomb, with two recumbent figures of clunch stone, probably representing Edward Wood esq. and his lady, ob. 1633; here also is a tablet to Tyrrell Dalton, ob. 1682: on the north side of the chancel, under a septfoiled arch, and within a wooden shrine of six compartments, is an emaciated recumbent effigy of John Careway, a former rector of St. Vigor's, who died in 1443: in the chancel is a large brass, with effigy in cope, under a canopy, to William de Fulbourn, chaplain to Edward III. and formerly canon of St. Paul's Cathedral, ob. 1390: there are several other brasses, including one of a priest, circa 1520, and fixed against the wall in the north aisle are kneeling effigies of a lady and two children: the tower and the north arcade of the nave are Early English, dating from about 1280: the south arcade is in very good Decorated style and the windows are chiefly Decorated and Perpendicular. On the north side of the chancel is a curious irregular cusped arch, forming a sedile: the pulpit, of carved oak, dates from about 1330, and is enriched with crocketing and quaint figures in the spandrils; the nave is seated with fine open benches, the ends being panelled and finished with poppy heads: in 1887 the beautiful Early Perpendicular east window of five lights was filed with stained glass, and in the south transept is a memorial window to Richard Greaves Townley, who died at Pekin 30th Nov. 1888: there are also several memorial tablets to members of theTownley family: the church affords 500 sittings. The register dates form the year 1558." [Kelly's Directory - 1900]
- Church of England
- Fulbourn St Vigor: Records of baptisms 1538-1680, 1697-1965, marriages 1556-1631, 1653-64, 1706-1968, burials 1556-1677, 1710-1880 and banns 1754-1862, 1894-1971 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1683, 1711-1858 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1538-1851, marriages 1556-1684, 1706-1851, burials 1556-1683, 1710-1851.
- Please see the Fulbourn page for the gazetteers.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Fulbourn St Vigor to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL520561 (Lat/Lon: 52.182211, 0.221804), Fulbourn St Vigor which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Fulbourn St. Vigor Roll of Honour has been transcribed and researched.