by Colin Hinson ©2013
"GAMLINGAY, a parish in the hundred of Longstow, county Cambridge, 6 miles south-west of Caxton, and 6 south-east of St. Neot's, its post town. It is a station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London and North-Western railway. The parish includes the hamlet of Woodbury. Previous to the 17th century this was a market town, and in possession of the Avenell and St. George families. The living is a vicarage* and rectory in the diocese of Ely, the former of the value of £288, in the patronage of the bishop, and the latter of £256, in the patronage of Merton College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a handsome altar-piece, formerly in Ely House, London. There are almshouses for 10 persons, having an endowment of £60 per annum, bequeathed by Mrs. Elizabeth Lane, and other charities producing about £10. There are chapels belonging to the Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists; also National and British schools for both sexes."
"WOODBURY, a hamlet in the parish of Gamlingay, county Cambridge, 5 miles south-west of Caxton."
- The Monumental Inscriptions for the churchyard of St. Mary are recorded for the years 1716-1901 and also for the Baptist church 1755-1944. These inscriptions are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search). Both sets of records can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. There are also records for burials in the cemetery for the years 1892-1987.
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1841 and 1851 Census for Gamlingay is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- "The church of St. Mary is a handsome building, in the Early English style; it is cruciform, and consists of chancel, nave with five pointed arches on either side, aisles, north and south porches, square embattled tower with 5 bells, and small tapering spire; there is a carved oak screen separating the nave from the chancel: it had a new roof in 1843, at a cost of about £200, defrayed by a church rate: monuments of the Lane family, the dates are 1717 and 1754, others much earlier, but the dates are defaced: the structure requires a large outlay to put the exterior in good condition: the alter-piece was brought from Ely House, in London. The register dates from the year 1530."
- "The Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have places of worship here."
[Kelly's Directory - 1872]
- Church of England
- Gamlingay, St. Mary: Records of baptisms 1698-1976, marriages 1698-1984, burials 1698-1700, 1730-1907, 1921-68 and banns for 1754-1812, 1823-1976 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, indexed transcripts exist for the years 1602-86, 1698-1851.These parish records are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search).The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1602-86, 1698-1851 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- Records exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for births 1815-37 (on microfilm) with additional indexed transcriptions for the same period.
- Gamlingay Heath Methodist: Records exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for marriages 1957-88.
- Potton Methodist chapel: These records contain entries for Gamlingay and exist in indexed form in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1860-1973.
- Primitive Methodist Church: Records also exist for the St Neots Primitive Circuit of which Gamlingay is part.
- Wesleyan Methodist Church: Records also exist for the St Neots Wesleyan Circuit of which Gamlingay is part.
- Gamlingay has its own village website.
- A transcript of the Gamlingay parish entries from Stepehen Whatley's 1750 Topographical Gazetteer of England,
- A transcript of the Gamlingay parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Gamlingay parish entries from 1872 Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Gamlingay to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL235524 (Lat/Lon: 52.156074, -0.196145), Gamlingay which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)