by Colin Hinson ©2013
"HINXTON, a parish in the hundred of Whittlesford, county Cambridge, 4 miles south-west of Linton, and 9 south-east of Cambridge. The Cambridge section of the Great Eastern railway passes near the village. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture, and some of the women in the working of muslin. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1820. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £150, in the patronage of Jesus College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains a brass of Sir T. Skelton, bearing date 1416. The parochial charities produce about £16 per annum."
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of SS. Mary and John 1710-1982 are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office. These inscriptions are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Hinxton is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- The Church of St. Mary and St. John, Hinxton
- "The church of SS. Mary and John is an edifice of flint and rubble in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south chapel, south porch and an embattled western tower with spire containing a clock and 2 bells: in the nave are remains of a holy water stoup and in the chapel a piscina and a hagioscope: in the chancel is an interesting monument to Sir Thomas Dayrell kt. of Lillingstone Dayrell, Bucks, and of Castle Camps, Cambs. ob. 2 April, 1669, and to Sarah (Wyndham) his wife, and many other members of this family the inscription, which is of great length, gives not only a biography of Sir Thomas, but also a genealogical account of his numerous descendants the monument appears to have been placed by Marmaduke Wyndham, his son: there are also brass effigies to Sir Thomas Skelton kt. ob. 1416, and his wife: also a stained window erected by Miss Nash, late of the Grange, in memory of her parents: the rood loft staircase still remains on the north side of the church: the chancel was restored in 1914: the bells were rehung in 1903: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538."
- "There is a Congregational chapel, built in 1836, which has 150 sittings."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire 1929]
- Church of England
- Hinxton, SS. Mary and John : Records of baptisms 1538-41, 1560-1902, marriages 1539-40, 1561-1989, burials 1539-40, 1561-1938 and banns 1755-1812, 1892-1976 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives; microfilm copies of baptisms and burials 1538-1875 and marriages 1539-1875 also exist. Index transcripts of baptisms 1538-41, 1560-1902, marriages 1539-40, 1560-1836 and burials 1538-40, 1561-1938 also reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1642, 1653-1861 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.The parish register transcripts for Hinxton SS. Mary and John, for the years 1538-1938, are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- Hinxton Mill straddles the River Cam. It was constructed in the 17th century, though there has been a mill on the site for much longer; probably one mentioned in the Domesday Survey as being "worth 8 shillings". The adjoining cottage was built in the 18th century (an inscribed date of 1766 was found during recent repair work) - though the front part may date from about 1600. In the mid 19th century the mill building was extended in size, joining it up with the cottage.
- A transcript of the Hinxton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Hinxton parish entries from 1929 Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hinxton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL495450 (Lat/Lon: 52.083172, 0.180392), Hinxton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.