HORNINGSEA: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.


[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]

"HORNINGSEA, (or Horningsey) is a parish and village on the east bank of the river Cam, 2 miles south from Waterbeach station on the Cambridge and Ely branch of the London and North Eastern railway and 4½ north-north-east from Cambridge, in the hundred of Flendish, Bottisham petty sessional division, union of Chesterton, Cambridge county court district, rural deanery of Quy and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. Across the Cam, and joining this parish to that of Waterbeach, is a bridge, built by a company formed for the purpose about 1872, and providing a means of communication with the Waterbeach railway station.

The parish enjoys one of the fens in Bottisham jointly with the inhabitants of that parish, as well as another fen in Quy and Horningsea.

The soil is clayey; subsoil, gault. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,635 acres of land and 12 of water; the population in 1921 was 371."

[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]