ICKLETON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"ICKLETON, a parish in the hundred of WHITTLESFORD, county of CAMBRIDGE, 4 miles (W. S.W.) from Linton, containing 602 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £8. 6. 8., endowed with £200 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely. The church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. A Benedictine nunnery was founded in the reign of Henry II., the revenue of which, at the dissolution, was valued at £80. 1. 10. A market, now disused, was granted to the Prioress by Henry III., together with a fair, which is still held on the 22nd of July."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]