[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"ISLEHAM, a parish in the hundred of Staploe, county Cambridge, 4 miles west of Mildenhall, and 8 north of Newmarket railway station. The village, which is considerable, is situate near the ferry which crosses the river Lark. There formerly existed here a cell to the alien priory of St. Jacutus, in Brittany. This place is famous for its excellent limestone, large quantities of which are sent to various parts of the country. The road from Ely to Mildenhall passes within 2 miles of the village. In the fens have been found deers' horns in juxtaposition with human bones, and those of the extinct British beaver. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £450, in the patronage of the Bishop of Peterborough. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient building, with a square embattled tower containing a clock and seven bells. In the interior are an old font and brasses of J. Bernard and Sir T. Peyton, bearing dates 1451 and 1484 respectively. The register dates from 1556. Near the church are the remains of the old Norman church belonging to the priory, which is now used as a barn. The parochial charities produce £209 per annum, £136 of which is the endowment of the twelve' almshouses founded by Sir T. Peyton. There are chapels belonging to the Methodists, Baptists, and Calvinists; also a National school. Isleham Hall is the principal residence."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]