by Colin Hinson ©2013
"KNAPWELL, a parish in the hundred of Papworth, county Cambridge, 4 miles south of Swavesey, 5 north-east of Caxton, and 8 north-west of Cambridge. The parish is wholly agricultural and very woody. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1775. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £150. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a low tower. The charities produce about £8 per annum. There is a school supported by subscription."
- The Monumental Inscriptions for All Saints churchyard 1799-1980 are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office. The Monumental Inscriptions are available from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Knapwell is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- "The church of All Saints is a structure of brick with stone dressings, in the Parpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a low and plain western tower containing one bell: the chancel and nave were rebuilt in 1866: there are 118 sittings. The register dates from the year 1680." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Church of England
- Knapwell, All Saints: Records of baptisms 1680-1840, marriages 1695-1837, burials 1678-1812 and banns 1754-95 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1598-1643, 1662-1861 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1598-1644, 1662-1812, marriages 1598-1812 and burials 1598-1644, 1662-1812. Transcripts of the Knapwell 1598-1996 parish records are are available from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- A transcript of the Knapwell parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Knapwell parish entries from 1929 Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Knapwell to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL332626 (Lat/Lon: 52.245471, -0.050433), Knapwell which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 2 names in the WWII Ely Cathedral book of remembrance have been transcribed and the men researched.