Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Landwade

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.


Primary tabs

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013

"LANDWADE, a parish in the hundred of Staploe, county Cambridge, 3 miles north-west of Newmarket, its post town. It is a small parish adjoining that of Burwell. There is no village, only a few farmhouses. Here is an old moated seat of the Cottons of Madingley, who inherited it through the Hastings, in which family the manor has been since the reign of Edward IIL The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Exning, in the diocese of Ely. The church is a cruciform structure dedicated to St. Nicholas. It contains six marble monuments to the Cotton family."

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]


  • The Census Records from 1841, 1861-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The original census for 1851 was lost at source. In addition the 1861 Census for Landwade is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)


  • St. Nicholas Chapel, Landwade.


Church History

  • "The church of St. Nicholas, a private chapel of the Cotton family, is an ancient structure, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and a low embattled western tower : it contains several monuments to the Cottons; divine service is held here during the summer on the first and third Sunday afternoons." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

Church Records

  • Church of England
    • Landwade, St. Nicholas: The registers are at the church from 1701. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1638-1641 can be found in the Suffolk Record Office and copies on microfilm for 1638-39 and 1641 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Transcripts exist from the Exning registers, in the Cambridgeshire Archives, for baptisms 1693-1736, marriages 1695-1736 and burials 1693-1734 (photocopies). Further photocopies exist for burials 1788-1835.


Ask for a calculation of the distance from Landwade to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.


Military History


Probate Records

  • Two courts cover Landwade as follows:
    • Archdeaconry Court of Sudbury: Jurisidiction in various parishes including Landwade which were in the diocese of Norwich until they were transferred to the diocese of Ely in 1837.
      • Records are held at the Suffolk Record Office covering Wills, 1439-1857, administrations, 1544-46, 1568-93, 1605-12, 1630-1858, inventories, 1573-76, 1617, 1625, 1640, 1650-1747. Index to wills to 1535 are published in Proceedings of Suffolk Institute of Archaeology, volume 12 and of all records to 1700 in the Index Library of the British Records Society, volumes 95 and 96.
    • Consistory Court of Norwich: Records are held at the Norfolk Record Office. Wills 1370-1857, administrations, 1370-1499, 1549-1640, 1666-1857, inventories, 1584-1846. There is an index to wills covering 1370-1857 published by the Norfolk Record Society, volumes 16, 21, 34, 38 and 47.


  • Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1710, 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32, 1878-88 and 1931-48.