by Colin Hinson ©2013
"LITTLE WILBRAHAM, a parish in the hundred of Staine, county Cambridge, 1 mile north of Great Wilbraham. The parish includes the hamlet of Six-mile Bottom. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £330, in the patronage of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, contains a brass of W. Blackway, bearing date 1521. There is a National school. The charities produce about £75 per annum, including Johnson's bequest for the poor, and about 30 acres of common. Many Saxon antiquities were discovered in an ancient churchyard here in October, 1851.
"SIX MILE BOTTOM, is a hamlet in the parishes of Little Wilbraham, Bottisham, Brinkley, Carlton cum Willingham, Swaffham Bulbeck, Westley Waterless, and Weston Colville. It has a station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the London and North Eastern railway. There is a congregational chapel, erected in 1881, with 80 sittings, and a reading room and library. There is also a recreation ground, pleasantly situated near the railway station and enclosed by a double row of trees : a cross of rough granite was erected in 1924 as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. Swyntord Paddocks is the residence of Capt. Malcolm Bollock M.B.E., M.P.
See also Six Mile Bottom main page."
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of St. John are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office for the years 1790-1984 which are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Little Wilbraham is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- St. John's Church, Little Wilbraham
- "The church of St. John is an ancient building of stone, principally in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, but with traces of much older work, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: the doorways to the rood loft also remain: the piers and arches of the nave are good Perpendicular, and there is an octagonal font of the same date: the south porch has a curious inner doorway, enriched with tracery and shields of arms: the tower is Decorated and stands on open arches: in the chancel is a brass, with kneeling effigy to William Blakney M.A. ob. 1521 in the churchyard is the base of a cross, consisting of the steps and part of the shaft, and a tombstone to Elizabeth Hobbs, who died in 1803, and is stated to have attained the age of 104 years : the interior of the church was restored and variously refitted during the period 1875-89, at a cost of £800, this amount including three stained windows and a new organ: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Little Wilbraham, St. John: Records of baptisms 1538-1986, marriages 1538-1987, burials 1561-1974, banns for 1754-1812, 1824-49, 1873-1946 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives.The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1648, 1661-187 3can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1538-1852, marriages 1538-1837, and burials 1561-1852. Parish register transcripts of Little Wilbraham, 1538-1852, are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- A transcript of the LittleWilbraham parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the LittleWilbraham parish entries from 1929 Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Little Wilbraham to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL541584 (Lat/Lon: 52.202291, 0.253539), Little Wilbraham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial Plaque in the Church has been transcribed and the men researched.