Longstanton St Michael
LONGSTANTON ST. MICHAEL
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"LONGSTANTON ST. MICHAEL, a parish in the hundred of Northstow, county Cambridge, 5 miles north-west of Cambridge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £250, in the patronage of Magdalen College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Michael.
- The Monumental Inscriptions for the churchyard of St. Michael, 1766-1977 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives and are available, in microfiche form, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Bookstall.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- St. Michael's Church, Long Stanton
- "The church of St. Michael, an edifice of rubble and flint, erected about 1230, is a simple yet beautiful specimen of the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a double bell gable at the west end containing 2 bells: the chancel was taken down in 1883 and rebuilt in 1884, as nearly as possible on its pre-Reformation lines, at a cost of £600: a beautiful triplet adorns the east end, and there is a large and double piscina with semicircular intersecting arches and an aumbry: the nave was restored in 1889, at a cost of £350: the roofs of the nave and porch are covered with thatch: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559." [Kellys Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Long Stanton St Michael: Records of baptisms 1559-1771, 1813-1968, marriages 1564-1959, burials 1559-1771, 1813-1965 and banns 1754-1818, 1893-1959 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1599-1968, marriages 1559-1959 and burials 1599-1965; the transcripts of the parish registers for the years 1599-1974 are available, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Bookstall. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1598-1652, 1662-1710, 1722-1876 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- A transcript of the LongStantonStMichael parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Longstanton St Michael to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL399661 (Lat/Lon: 52.275256, 0.049085), Longstanton St Michael which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)