[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"MADINGLEY, a parish in the hundred of Northstow, county Cambridge, 4 miles north-west of Cambridge, its poet town and nearest railway station. In this parish is the manor of Burlwas, the proceeds from which are applied to the benefit of the members of parliament for the county. The village is a small agricultural place. The impropriation belongs to the Bishop of Ely. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £120, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a spire and stained east window. There are National schools for both sexes, with residence for the teacher. Madingley House is a structure in the Elizabethan style."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]