by Colin Hinson ©2013
"MEPAL, a parish in the hundred of South Witchford, county Cambridge, 6 miles west of Ely, its post town, and 5 south-east of Chatteris railway station. The village, which is small, is situated on the rivers Old and New Bedford, and is wholly agricultural. The land is principally in pasture and common. The tithes of Mepal have been commuted for a rent-charge of £270. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £280, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, in which are many relics of great antiquity. The register dates from 1790. The charities produce about £173, of which £1.60 is realised from poor's land, and £15 to a school. There are two dame-schools. The Wesleyans and Baptists have each a place of worship."
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of St. Mary 1682-1992 are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office. These inscriptions are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives and at Wisbech Library. In addition the 1851 Census for Mepal is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- St. Mary's Church, Mepal
- "The church of St. Mary, anciently belonging, according to the inscriptions on the tomb of Alan de Walsinghm, sub-prior ans sacristan of Ely cathedral, to the church of Ely, is a building of flint and stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing one bell : the chancel was restored by the Rev. Charles S. Harris LL.M. rector (1876-84), and the church in 1905 at a cost of £600 : in 1908 the interior was reseated and a vestry added at a cost of £200 : there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Church of England
- Mepal, St Mary's: The registers reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1809-2005, marriages 1754-2001, burials 1813-1919 and banns 1754-1792, 1876-1967. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1600-48 and 1662-1857 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- Methodist Church
- Wesleyan Methodist Church: Records exist for the Chatteris Wesleyan Circuit of which Mepal is part.
- A transcript of the Mepal parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Mepal parish entries from 1868 A brief history of Ely and neighbouring villages in the Isle' by J.H. Clements
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mepal to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL439809 (Lat/Lon: 52.407189, 0.114004), Mepal which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.