MEPAL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
[Extracted from A brief history of Ely and neighbouring villages in the Isle' by J.H. Clements 1868]
"MEPAL, a parish in the hundred of South Witchford. The area of Mepal parish, according to parliamentary return, is 1440 acres; its population is about 550 souls. The amount of assessed property is 22,344. The Master and Fellows of Caius college are large proprietors here. The manor of Mepal was given to the monks of Ely by Alan Walsingham, their prior, in 1345, and is now vested in the dean and chapter. Mepal stands near the banks of the Ouse, about four miles south from Chatteris, and eight miles west from Ely. The old Bedford River, which is navigable, runs through the village. The church, is dedicated to the Blessed -Virgin; it is of the 12th century, and was completely restored in 1849, at a cost of about £600. The living was formerly consolidated with that of Sutton, but it is now an independent rectory in the deanery of Ely. It is valued in the king's books at £3. 3s. 6d., but now returned at £360. per annum. The patronage is vested in the dean and chapter of Ely."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from A brief history of Ely and neighbouring villages in the Isle' by J.H. Clements 1868]