Newton In The Isle
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"NEWTON IN THE ISLE, a parish in the hundred of Wisbech, Isle of Ely county Cambridge, 4 miles north of Wisbech, its nearest railway station and post town, and 41 from Cambridge. The village, which is small, is situated near the river Nen, and is wholly agricultural. A portion of the land is fenny. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £667. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £1,135, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient structure with a tower. The interior of the church contains an ancient font and numerous monuments of great antiquity. A college or chantry in honour of St. Mary was founded here in the reign of Henry IV. by Sir J. Colville, Knt., consisting of a warden, four chaplains, and ten poor brethren, whose lands at the Dissolution were annexed to the rectory of Newton. The charities consist of a share with Leverington. There is a free school. E. Jackson, Esq., is lord of the manor.
"FITTON END, in the parishes of Newton in the Isle and Leverington, about a mile south of Newton in the Isle"
"MARY-IN-THE-MARSH, a chapelry in the parish of Newton in the Isle, hundred of Wisbech, Isle of Ely, county Cambridge, 3 miles south-west of Wisbech."
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives and at Wisbech Library. In addition the 1851 Census for Newton (in the Isle) is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- "The church of St. James is an edifice of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of six bays, aisle, south porch and a western tower with spire containing a clock and 6 bells; in 1912 the 6 bells were rehung in a steel frame, at a cost of £185; the tower, porch and aisles are of good Decorated character; the nave has clerestory windows of Perpendicular date, and the chancel is of the same period: there are several ancient sepulchral slabs and an Early font: the east window and five others are stained; the chancel was restored in 1879, at a cost of £372, and in 1890-91 new choir stalls and organ were provided and two stained windows inserted as a memorial to Dr. Corrie : in 1803 a carved oak altar table and rood screen were placed in the chancel : there are 322 sittings. The register dates from the year 1685. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £800, including 40 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the bishop of Ely, and held since 1926 by the Rev Thomas Triffitt M.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge. A parish room was opened in 1909. There is a United Methodist chapel, erected in 1868." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire 1929]
- Church of England
- Newton (in the Isle), St. James : Records of baptisms 1653-1939, marriages 1653-1956, burials 1653-1896 and banns 1754-1963 reside in the Wisbech Museum with microfilm copies of baptisms 1653-1939, marriages 1653-1970, burials 1653-1896 at both Wisbech Museum and Cambridge Record Office. Indexed transcripts of baptisms 1600-39, 1646-48, 1654-1852, marriages and burials 1600-39, 1654-1851 also reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Parish register transcripts of Newton, St. James, 1600-1852, are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search) The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1638, 1661-1868 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- Wesleyan Methodist Church: Records exist at the Cambridgeshire Archives for the Wibech Wesleyan Circuit of which Newton (in the Isle) is part.
- A transcript of the NewtonInTheIsle parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the NewtonInTheIsle parish entries from 1929 Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Newton In The Isle to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF432145 (Lat/Lon: 52.709225, 0.118214), Newton In The Isle which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.