Newton Near Cambridge
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"NEWTON NEAR CAMBRIDGE, a parish in the hundred of Thriplow, county Cambridge, 6½ miles south of Cambridge, its post town, and 1½ mile from the Harston railway station. The parish, which is inconsiderable and wholly agricultural, is situated on the Barkway high road between Cambridge and London. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Act of Enclosure in 1798. The impropriation belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Hauxton, in the diocese of Ely. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, has a tower containing three bells. The church was restored in 1851, and has an ancient octagonal font. There is an endowed school. The Dean and Chapter of Ely are lords of the manor.
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of St. Margaret 1714-1980 are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office. These inscriptions are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Newton (near Cambridge) is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- "The church of St. Margaret is edifice of stone and clunch in the Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, transepts, north porch and an embattled western tower with a projecting turret on the south side and containing 3 bells; the transept arches are Early English, those of the aisle Decorated; the transepts have very good Perpendicular roofs, and the north transept contains an aumbry; the tower arch is a very fine example of the Decorated period, with deep continuous mouldings: the font, an interesting feature, dates from about 1200, and consists of a square basin, chamfered upwards to an octagon and supported on five shafts: the church was restored in 1851 and has five stained windows: there are 160 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire 1929]
- Church of England
- Newton (near Cambridge), St. Margaret : Records of baptisms 1560-1969, marriages 1557-1993, burials 1560-1992 and banns 1754-1932 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Indexed transcripts of baptisms 1560-1829, marriages 1557-1827, and burials 1560-1829 also reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1852 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.The parish register transcripts for Newton (near Cambridge) St. Margaret are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- A transcript of the NewtonNearCambridge parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the NewtonNearCambridge parish entries from 1929 Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Newton Near Cambridge to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL436493 (Lat/Lon: 52.123366, 0.096162), Newton Near Cambridge which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.