ORWELL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"ORWELL, a parish in the hundred of WETHERLEY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 7 miles (N.N.W.) from Royston, containing 475 inhabitants. The living comprises a sinecure rectory and a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, the rectory rated in the king's books at £19 19. 4., and the vicarage at £7. 10. 10., the former in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge, and the latter in that of the Rector. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. At Malton, anciently a distinct parish, is a desecrated church, now used as a barn. A school for poor children was founded and liberally endowed, in 1750, by the Rev. John Colbatch, D.D., some time rector."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]