Hide

Outwell

hide
Hide

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013

"OUTWELL, a parish partly in the hundred of Wisbech, Isle of Ely, county Cambridge, and partly in that of Clackclose, county Norfolk, 6 miles south-east of Wisbech, its post town, and 6 east of the Downham railway station. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated on the river Nen. There was formerly a Benedictine house at Molycourt, which was made a cell to Ely priory by Henry VI. The soil is of a loamy nature, on a subsoil of clay. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £114. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £417, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Clement, is an ancient brick structure with a square embattled tower containing six bells. The register dates from 1680. The parochial charities produce about £181 per annum, of which £18 goes to a school. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. There is a National school for children of both sexes. Beaupré Hall, the ancient manor house, is an Elizabethan residence. C. W. Townley, Esq., is lord of the manor."

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
Hide
topup

Census

  • The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives and also in the Wisbech Library. In addition the 1841 and 1851 Census for Outwell is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
topup

Churches

  • St. Clement's Church, Outwell.
topup

Church History

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF512039 (Lat/Lon: 52.611834, 0.231678), Outwell which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • The War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.