by Colin Hinson ©2013
"PAMPISFORD, (or Pampsworth), a parish in the hundred of Chilford, county Cambridge, 7½ miles south by east of Cambridge, its post town, and 1 mile east of Whittlesford station on the Cambridge section of the Great Eastern railway. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The soil is of a gravelly nature, with a subsoil of chalk and gravel. The land is almost wholly arable, except about 150 acres of pasture. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1799. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £85. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, has a spired tower containing four bells. It is situated in the centre of the village. The parochial charities produce about £35 per annum. There is a commodious school, which was built at the expense of W. P. Hammond, Esq.
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of St. John the Baptist are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office for the years 1738-1980.
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Pampisford is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- "The church of St. John the Baptist, which is surrounded by fine elms, is a structure of flint arid stone, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, wooden south porch and a western tower containing a clock and 4 bells : the arcades are Transition Norman: the font is Norman. and there is an Early Norman south doorway; the rood screen is in good preservation and an oaken cross was placed above it in 1887: there are memorial windows to Cecilia, wile of James Binnev esq. d. 1897, also to Dorothy, wife of F. Prince esq. of Sawston, and another placed by Col. Hamond R.A. and Miss Hamond in memory of William Parker Hamond esq. J.P., D.L. d. 1884: the church was restored about 1850, and again in 1876-91: there are 270 sittings, 220 being free. The register dates from about the year 1565. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £200, with residence, in the gift of James Binney esq. M.A., D.L., J.P. and held since 1928 by the Rev. Kenneth Alexander Knight Hallowes M.A. of Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge. A stone cross, erected to the memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18, was unveiled on Nov. 6th, 1921." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Pampisford, St. Nicholas: Records of baptisms 1560-1958, marriages 1584-1990, burials 1561-64, 1584-1678, 1716-1971 and banns for 1754-1813, 1829-1845 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, indexed transcripts exist for all these registers and they are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, for the years 1560-1977, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search). The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1642 and 1662-1861 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- A transcript of the Pampisford parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Pampisford parish entries from 1929 Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pampisford to another place.
- "Pampisford Hall, the seat of James Binney esq. M.A., D.L., J.P. about a mile from the village, is a substantial mansion, remodelled from designs by G. Goldie esq. R.A. : the entrance hall has a beautifully carved oak staircase, and the dining-room an elaborately designed oak fireplace and massive sideboard of oak, the produce of the late Mr. W. Parker Hamond's estate at Haling Park, in Surrey: the dining-room, library and ante-room have fine ceilings in the Tudor style: the woods and grounds have been much improved and altered, and an approach made from the village past the mansion to the Newmarket road, near the station, ending in an avenue of cedar and oak: a magnificent collection of conifers has been formed, including specimens from Japan, China, Mexico and California, besides a rich collection of Austrian, Pyrenean and other species: south of the mansion is an Italian flower garden : on the south side, running east and west for more than a mile, and in excellent preservation, is an ancient British dyke still more southward is the new park, bounded by other plantations and groups of trees. James Binney esq. M.A., D.L., J.P. who is lord of the manor, and Mr. Alfred Edward Fordham are the principal landowners. There were formerly two manors hers, which appear to have been united prior to the reign of James I. when the manor was the property of the Marsh family: together with other estates it came in the 17th century to the family of Parker, by a marriage with the heiress of the Marsh family, arid shortly after, by a marriage with the heiress of the Parkers, it was transferred to the family of Sir William Hamond." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL496481 (Lat/Lon: 52.110995, 0.18321), Pampisford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial Plaque in the Church has been transcribed and the men researched.