by Colin Hinson ©2013
"PAPWORTH EVERARD, (erroneously Papworth St. Everard)a parish in the hundred of Papworth, county Cambridge, 1 mile south of Papworth St. Agnes, and 3 miles north by west of Caxton. St. Ives is its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The surface is undulating, and well wooded with oak timber. The land is chiefly arable, with a small proportion of pasture and woodland. The soil is clayey. The old north road to Huntingdon passes through the parish. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £187 10s., and the glebe contains 23 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £173, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Peter, and was once larger than at present. The register dates from 1695. There is a school for both sexes. Papworth Hall is the principal residence.
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of St. Peter, for the years 1828-1985, are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office and are available, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Papworth Everard is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- "The church of St. Peter is a structure of flint with stone dressings, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and an embattled tower on the north aide with spire and containing 2 bells: the church was restored and almost rebuilt in 1850: the tower was erected in 1871 and the spire added in 1876, in memory of Robert Cheere, who died 16 May, 1875: in 1900 the church was re-roofed : in 1884 an organ was presented by Miss Cheere: the stained memorial windows in the east side are to Frances Cheere, d. 1891, and Mary Alice Williams, d. 1899: the west window is to the memory of Sydney Hawker Williams: the window in the west side of the chancel was erected in 1892 to the Rev. Edward Cheere M.A., S.F. of Papworth Hall: an altar cross was presented by Mrs. Dale Galloway in 1910 in memory of the Rev. Edward Dale Galloway, rector 1879-1894: the church affords about 200 Sittings. The register dates. from the year 1565." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Papworth Everard, St. Peter: Records of baptisms 1695-1956, marriages 1697-1955, burials 1695-1957 and banns 1755-2004 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Indexed transcripts for baptisms 1565-1901, marriages 1565-1900 and burials 1565-1905 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The indexed transcripts of the registers are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search). The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1641, 1661-1841 and 1879-85 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- Wesleyan Methodist Church: Records exist at the Cambridgeshire Archives, Bedford and Huntingdon Record Offices for the St. Neots Primitive Circuit of which Papworth Everard is part.
- A transcript of the PapworthEverard parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the PapworthEverard parish entries from 1929 Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Kisby's Hut: This is a Public House in Papworth Everard, Cambridgeshire. It is still going strong after 230 years. It was rebuilt after a fire in 1913. Opened in 1770 on the Great North Road by a Samuel Kisby (died 1797) who was also licensee of the Three Horseshoes in the village itself. In the church yard, in Church Lane, is Samuel Kisby's grave stone. Kisby Hut is the only public house with this name making it unique.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Papworth Everard to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL285629 (Lat/Lon: 52.249283, -0.119119), Papworth Everard which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial Plaque in the Church has been transcribed and the men researched.