by Colin Hinson ©2013
"STAPLEFORD, a parish in the hundred of Thriplow, county Cambridge, 4 miles south-east of Cambridge, its post town, and 55 from London. The village is situated on the river Granta. The soil is gravelly. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture and the manufacture of strawplait. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £131, in the patronage off the dean and chapter. The church is an ancient edifice dedicated to St. Andrew. The living was once held by Bentham, the antiquary, who died here in 1794. The church contains a brass of W. Lee, bearing date 1617. The parochial charities produce about £27 per annum. Gog-Magog Hills is the principal residence."
- "A cemetery of half an acre was formed in 1880, the ground being given by Dr. William Collier, of Oxford; it is under the control of the Parish Council of 7 members." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire 1929]
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of St. Andrew 1617-1967 are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office. These inscriptions are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Stapleford is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- St. Andrew's Church, Stapleford
- "The church of St. Andrew, erected between 1260 and 1330 is a building of stone and clunch in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave with arcades of five arches, aisles, south porch and a western tower with spire containing 6 bells; in the chancel is a double piscina and in the nave two single piscinae, and there is a brass, dated 1617, to the Rev. William Lee, a former vicar: the spacious south porch belongs to the Decorated period, and the nave arcades are of the same date: the tower, excellently constructed, is Early English: the nave and aisles were restored ant renewed in 1868, at a cost of £1,000; and in 1882 a stained east window was erected as a memorial to Henry Collier and his daughters: the church clock was presented in 1924 by Capt. Going, at a cost of £190: there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1557."
- "There is a small Particular Baptist chapel."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire 1929]
- Church of England
- Stapleford, St. Andrew's: Records of baptisms 1557-1935, marriages 1557-1937, burials 1557-1921 and banns 1754-1812, 1825-1906, 1925-67 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Index transcripts of baptisms 1557-1935, marriages 1557-1941and burials 1557-1921 also reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1867 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.The parish register transcripts for Stapleford St. Andrew 1557-1941 are also available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- A transcript of the Stapleford parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Stapleford parish entries from 1929 Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stapleford to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL470518 (Lat/Lon: 52.144933, 0.146868), Stapleford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial Plaque in the Church has been transcribed and the men researched.