by Colin Hinson ©2013
"STETCHWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Radfield, county Cambridge, 3 miles south-west of Newmarket, its post town, and 1½ mile east of the Dullingham station on the Cambridge and Newmarket railway. The inhabitants of the village are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £174. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient edifice, with a tower and five bells. It contains a monument to H. Gorges, Esq. The principal residence is Stetchworth House."
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of St. Peter for the years 1680-1944 are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office. These monumental transcripts are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Stetchworth is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- " The church of St. Peter is an ancient structure of flint partly in a debased Perpendicular style, and consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 5 bells: the chancel is Norman and Early English, and was restored in 1907 by the lay rector, the Earl of Ellesmere, at a cost of £900: the north aisle retains a piscina, and in the south aisle is a floriated niche and a Norman priests' door-way: a memorial window was erected in 1864 to the Rev. Richard Eaton and one to Capt. Henry Pardoe Eaton, 60th Rifles, who died at Delhi: in the church is a fine monument of white marble with effigies on a background of black marble, erected by Sir Richard Gorges bart. second Baron Gorges of Dundalk, and Bridget (Kingsmill) his wife, to their son Henry, ob. 1674: both titles became extinct on the death of Lord Gorges in 1712: there is also a memorial to Ashton Benyon esq. d. 1856: the nave and aisles were restored in 1894 at a cost of £450, of which £300 was given to the Earl of Ellesmere: the church affords 300 sittings. The register dates from about the year 1666."
- "There is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1883, which has 400 sittings."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Stetchworth, St. Peter: Records of baptisms 1666-1889, marriages 1666-1987, burials 1666-1885 and banns 1756-1881 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Indexed transcripts for baptisms 1599-1840, marriages 1599-1837 and burials 1599-1840 also reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Parish register transcripts of Stetchworth St. Peter, 1599-1840, are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search) The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1851 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- Wesleyan Methodist Church: Records exist at the Cambridgeshire Archives for the Mildenhall Wesleyan Circuit of which Stetchworth is part.
- A transcript of the Stetchworth parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Stetchworth parish entries from 1929 Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stetchworth to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL638583 (Lat/Lon: 52.198598, 0.395302), Stetchworth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.