Stow Cum Quy
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"STOW-CUM-QUY, a parish in the hundred of Staine, county Cambridge, 5 miles north-east of Cambridge, its post town. The village is situated near the ancient Fleam Dyke. An Enclosure Act was obtained in 1839, when 4 acres were appropriated for the purpose of recreation. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £52, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities produce about £16 per annum. There is a village school supported by voluntary contributions. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Dr. Jeremy Collier was born here in 1650, and died in 1726."
"QUY, a chapelry in the parish of Stow cum Quy, hundred of Staine, county Cambridge, 5 miles north-east of Cambridge."
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of St. Mary for the years 1720-1983 are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office and are available, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Stow-cum-Quy is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- St. Mary's Church, Stow cum Quy
- "The church of St. Mary, erected circa 1340, and situated close to the main road, is an ancient embattled edifice of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells: the nave arcades, with the exception of an Early English arch to the south-east, are Decorated; the clerestory is Perpendicular; the rood screen, of the same date, is in five compartments, and has been restored: the north aisle, also Perpendicular, has some modern memorials to the Martin family, of Quy Hall: both aisles have slight projections at their eastern ends, forming quasi-transepts: each transept has a piscina: the font, an octagon, is Perpendicular, with blank shields on the sides; the church contains a curious brass with effigies of a man in armour, his wife (figure now lost), 12 sons and four daughters, and a mutilated inscription, which when perfect commemorated John Ansty esq. formerly lord of this 'ville,' and founder of Ansty's Chantrey, and Johanna his wife; he died circa 1465: there is also a brass with arms and inscription to Edward Stern, 1641, and some 17th century slabs inscribed to the Lawrence family: the chancel was rebuilt about 1740 by Thomas Martyn esq. and the church thoroughly restored in 1879-82: in 1883 the churchyard wall was rebuilt by Thomas Musgrave Francis esq. D.L., J.P. who in 1928 erected a tablet to commemorate Jeremy Collier, the church historian, and two former vicars of Quy, Richard Sterne, 1621-2, afterwards Archbishop of York, 1664-83, and Thomas Herring, 1719-21, afterwards Archbishop of Canterbury, 1747-57: there are 230 sittings. The register dates from the year 1650."
- "There is a small Wesleyan chapel here."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Stow-cum-Quy, St. Mary: Records of baptisms 1649-1857, marriages 1650-1990, burials 1650-1902 and banns 1754-1810, 1820-1995 (there are also extracts for baptisms 1547, marriages 1541 and burials 1539) reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, microfilm copies exist for baptisms, marraiges and burials 1650-1875. Indexed transcripts for baptisms 1599-1900, marriages 1599-1900 and burials 1599-1902 also reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives with extracts for baptisms, marriages and burails 1539-97. The indexed transcripts of the registers are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search). The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1860 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- Clare Grant has transcribed the parish records and will be happy to look up records for anyone if they email her.
- Primitive Methodist Church: Records exist for the Cambridge Primitive Seond Circuit of which Stow-cum-Quy is part.
- A transcript of the StowCumQuy parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the StowCumQuy parish entries from 1929 Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stow Cum Quy to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL517603 (Lat/Lon: 52.220025, 0.219299), Stow Cum Quy which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial Plaque in the Village Hall has been transcribed and the men researched.
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1757-63, 1789-1837, 1880-92 and 1911-48.
- Hearth Tax:
- The hearth tax records for 1662 and 1664 are in the Cambridgeshire Archives [Julian Whybra, 2012]