SWAFFHAM-BULBECK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"SWAFFHAM-BULBECK, a parish in the hundred of STAINE, county of CAMBRIDGE, 6 miles (W.by S.) from Newmarket, containing 684 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £16. 10., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The parish is partly bounded by the Cam, of which river there is a branch, called Swaffham Lode, navigable to the village. A charity school was founded here, in 1721, by Mrs. Frances Towers, and endowed with £ 50 per annum. Here are the remains of a Benedictine, nunnery, founded before the reign of John, by one of the Bolebecs, and dedicated to St. Mary. At the dissolution its revenue was estimated at £46. 18. 10., and the house is now occupied by paupers."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]