Swaffham Prior St Mary
"SWAFFHAM PRIOR ST. MARY, a parish in the town of Swaffham Prior.
See also Swaffham Prior main page."
- The Monumental Inscriptions for the churchyard of both churches, 1711-1929 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives and are available, in microfiche form, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Bookstall.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- St. Mary's Church, Swaffham Prior
- "The church of St. Mary, which had long been in ruins, but was used as a burying place for the Allix family, was restored in 1902, and is now the parish church: the restoration of the tower and the rebuilding of the steeple still remain to be done: a very beautiful rood screen, with loft and figures, was presented to the church in 1903 by the late C. P. Allix esq. : the building consists of nave and clerestory, part of the western tower, Norman and Early English, and remains of the western porch: the chancel and vestries were completed in 1879: the total cost of restoration amounted to about £6,000: there are sittings for 366 persons." [Kellys Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Swaffham Prior St Mary: The parish was united with Saints Cyriac and Julitta in 1667. Records of baptisms 1569-1662, marriages 1559-1653 and burials 1559-1653 reside in the Cambridge Record Office. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1569-1851, marriages 1559-1851 and burials 1559-1848, these include SS. Cyriac and Julitta after 1661; the transcripts of the parish registers for the years 1559-1852, for both parishes, are available, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Bookstall. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1647, 1661-63 can be found in the Cambridge University Library, the later BT's were combined with SS. Cyriac and Julitta..
- Please see the Swaffham Prior page for the gazetteers.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Swaffham Prior St Mary to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL568639 (Lat/Lon: 52.250937, 0.295562), Swaffham Prior St Mary which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)