by Colin Hinson ©2013
"THRIPLOW, a parish in the hundred of the same name, county Cambridge, 6 miles north-east of Royston, its post town, and 3 west of Whittlesford railway station. The village is near Thriplow Heath, a rendezvous of the parliamentary army commanded by Cromwell and Fairfax in July, 1647. The soil is of a sandy nature, with a subsoil of gravel, and chalk. An Enclosure Act was passed in 1840. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £129, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower and five bells. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There are British and Church schools. The Independents have a chapel."
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of St. George for the years 1719-1981 are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office and are available, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1841 and 1851 Census for Thriplow is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- "The church of St. George is an ancient structure of flint and rubble, in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and an embattled central tower with small spire and containing 5 bells; an organ was provided in 1908 at a cost of £250: the church was restored in 1876-7 at a cost of £2,100, and affords 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538."
- "There is a Congregational chapel, founded in 1780, and purchased and restored in 1880, at a cost of £146."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Thriplow, St. George: Records of baptisms 1538-1989, marriages 1599-1995, burials 1600-1996, and banns 1755-1996 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, indexed transcripts exist for baptisms 1538-1840, marriages 1599-1840 and burials 1600-1840. A surname index exists for baptisms and burials 1813-1994 and marriages 1840-1994. The parish register transcripts, 1592-1840, are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search) The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1603-1848 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- A transcript of the Thriplow parish entries from Stepehen Whatley's 1750 Topographical Gazetteer of England,
- A transcript of the Thriplow parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Thriplow parish entries from 1929 Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thriplow to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL436464 (Lat/Lon: 52.097311, 0.09494), Thriplow which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.