THRIPLOW: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"THRIPLOW, a parish in the hundred of THRIPLOW, county of CAMBRIDGE, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Royston, containing 371 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Bishop of Ely, rated in the king's books at £4.9.2., and endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty. The church is dedicated to All Saints. A grand rendezvous of the parliamentarian army, commanded by Fairfax and Cromwell, took place on Thriplow heath, in July 1647."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]