Hide

West Wickham

hide
Hide

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013

"WEST WICKHAM, a parish in the hundred of Chilford, county Cambridge, 4 miles north-east of Linton, and 10 from Newmarket. The village is principally the property of the Earl of Hardwicke, who is lord of the manor. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £80. The church is dedicated to St. Mary.

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
Hide
topup

Cemeteries

topup

Census

topup

Churches

  • St. Mary's Church, West Wickham.
topup

Church History

  • "The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of flint and rubble, with stone dressings, in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, north organ chamber and a western tower containing 5 bells, and affords 200 sittings: the church was restored in 1900 at a cost of £1,400. The register dates from the year 1647." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
topup

Church Records

  • Church of England
    • West Wickham, St. Mary: Records of baptisms 1682-2003, marriages 1682-1989, burials 1682-2003 and banns 1755-1905 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1641, 1661-1861 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 11682-1858, marriages 1682-1717, 1727-1841 and burials 1682-1922.
topup

Gazetteers

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL613494 (Lat/Lon: 52.119387, 0.354531), West Wickham which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • The War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.
topup

Names, Geographical

  • "STREETLY END is a hamlet half a mile south" [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
topup

Taxation

  • Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1759-63, 1789-1846 and 1865-1948.