by Colin Hinson ©2013
"WESTON COLVILLE, a parish in the hundred of Radfield, county Cambridge, 6 miles north-east of Linton, and 5 south-west of the Sixmile Bottom station on the Cambridge and Newmarket line. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £200. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains a brass of a knight."
"SIX MILE BOTTOM, is a hamlet in the parishes of Little Wilbraham, Bottisham, Brinkley, Carlton cum Willingham, Swaffham Bulbeck, Westley Waterless, and Weston Colville. It has a station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the London and North Eastern railway. There is a congregational chapel, erected in 1881, with 80 sittings, and a reading room and library. There is also a recreation ground, pleasantly situated near the railway station and enclosed by a double row of trees : a cross of rough granite was erected in 1924 as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. Swyntord Paddocks is the residence of Capt. Malcolm Bollock M.B.E., M.P.
See also Six Mile Bottom main page."
- The Monumental Inscriptions for the Blessed Virgin churchyard, 1427-1976 are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office. These are also available in microfiche form from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Weston Colville is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- "The Church, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, consists of a nave, chancel, south porch, north chapel, and square western tower. Over the porch, in a niche, is a figure of the Blessed Virgin and Infant Saviour; and the side chapel is the burial-place of the Hall family. The living is a rectory in the deanery of Camps, rated in the King's books at £ 21. 13s. 6-1/2d., but now returned at £200 nett per annum. John Hall, Esq. is the patron, and the Rev. Wm. Acton, M.A., incumbent. At the enclosure of the parish, pursuant to an act of parliament passed in 1777, land was allotted in lieu of tithes.
- The Rectory-House, a genteel residence, stands a little N.E. of the church.
- Here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel erected in 1847, and in connexion with which is a Sunday school well attended."
[History, Gazeteer & Directory of Cambridgeshire, Peterborough, Robert Gardner, 1851, pp.241-242]
- Church of England
- Weston Colville, Blessed Virgin: Records of baptisms 1712-2003, marriages 1712-1979, burials 1712-1992, and banns 1755-1812, 1820-1892, 1903-2003 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1849 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1599-1851, marriages 1602-1900 and burials 1599-1851. The parish record transcripts for the Blessed Virgin 1599-1851 are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- A transcript of the WestonColville parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the WestonColville parish entries from 1851 Robert Gardner's History, Gazeteer & Directory of Cambridgeshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Weston Colville to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL616531 (Lat/Lon: 52.152536, 0.360666), Weston Colville which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial Plaque in the Church has been transcribed and the men researched.