"WIMBLINGTON (formerly a hamlet of Doddington) is now a parish on the road from Chatteris to March, with a station three quarters of a mile south on the Wisbech and St. Ives branch of the Great Eastern Railway and four miles south from March, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of North Witchford, Isle of Ely, union of North Witchford, petty sessional division and county court district of March, rural deanery of March and in the peculiar archidiaconal jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely."
"The soil is clay; subsoil, clay and rich fen-land. The chief crops are potatoes, wheat, oats and barley. The area is 7, 727 acres of land and 35 of water; the population in 1901 was 1, 135."
"STONEA, in the parish of Wimblington, has a station on the Great Eastern line from Ely to Peterborough."
- The Census Records for Wimblington is part, from 1841-1891, can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1841 and 1851 Census are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
- Church of England
- "The church of St. Peter, built in 1874 at a cost of £4,000 and consecrated 15 May in that year, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an eastern tower with spire containing a clock and one bell: a stained eastern window was erected in 1902 as a memorial to Capt. Arthur Joseph Hill, East Surrey Regiment, and there are others to Lily Fisher and Emily, wife of the Rev. Joseph Hill B.A. rector here 1874-1904: there are 350 sittings. The register dates from the year 1874." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1908]
- Methodist Church
- "There are two Wesleyan Methodist chapels, one at Stonea and the other in the village, and a Primitive Methodist chapel at Hook." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1908]
- Church of England
- Wimblington, St Peter: Registers are held at the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1874-1948, banns 1874-1972 and marriages 1874-1969. There are no burial records at the Cambridge Record Office.
- "About 1714, Thomas Eaton bequeathed certain lands in the parish for the purpose of providing education for 40 children. The proceeds arising from this property are now devoted to secondary education. At Stonea Grange, a short distance from the village, there was once a Roman station, traces of which still remain, and on the site of which coins have been frequently found: it has been considered by some antiquaries as originally formed by the early inhabitants for the purpose of enclosing their cattle during the winter time, and afterwards to have been occupied as a military encampment. An old cannon ball found here, weighing 24lbs, is in the possession of William Bellamy esq. The principal landowners are Lieut-Col. Sir Algernon Francis Peyton, of Swift's House, Bicester, Oxon, who is lord of the manor, William Bellamy esq., William Bridges Blunt esq. Of Whittlesea, Peterborough, and James Morton of Hook." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1908]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wimblington to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL412924 (Lat/Lon: 52.511208, 0.079203), Wimblington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- A list of soldiers from Wimblington who fell in the First and Second World Wars can be found on the Cambridgeshire Roll of Honour page.
- "Taken over by County Council July 1st 1903.
- Under local control of six managers, four appointed by County Council and two by Parish Council; meet first Monday in every month: C.P. Burling, March, correspondent: William Henry Yorke, Doddington, attendance officer.
- Wimblington, founded originally in 1714 by a bequest of Mr Thomas Eaton, who left for this purpose property to the value of £120: the school will hold 160 children; average attendance 133; Ernest Ellen, master; Miss Sarah Hamps, infants' mistress.
- Stonea, built in 1882 at a cost of, with site, about £500, for 60 children: average attendance 50: the school was opened April 16th 1883; Mrs Fred Hudson, mistress." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1908]