Hide

Wisbech St Augustine

hide
Hide
hide
Hide

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013

"WISBECH ST. AUGUSTINE is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1869 from the civil parishes of St. Peter Wisbech and Leverington."

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
Hide
topup

Churches

  • St. Augustine's Church, Wisbech.
topup

Church History

  • "The church, erected in 1868-9, and opened in May, 1869, at a cost of about £4,000, is a structure of brick, with stone dressings, in the Early English style consisting of clerestoried nave, aisles and bellicot containing one bell: the reredos, erected in 1878 is of stone the panels being filled in with glass mosaic displaying a central cross with the figures of three angels on either side, bearing on shields the instruments of the Passion: the stained east window, placed 7 Dec. 1883, is a memorial: the west window was filled with stained glass in 1922, in memory of the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there are several other stained windows: the church affords 500 sittings. The register dates from the year 1870. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £400, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely, and held since 1926 by the Rev. Arthur John William Crosse C.B.E., B.A. of the London University." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
topup

Church Records

  • Church of England
    • Wisbech St. Augustine: Records of baptisms 1870-1977, marriages 1870-1972 and banns 1960-1977 reside in the WIsbech Museum. [Last updated 21 December 1999 Martin Edwards]
topup

Gazetteers

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF463100 (Lat/Lon: 52.667973, 0.162067), Wisbech St Augustine which are provided by: