Wisbech St Augustine
WISBECH ST. AUGUSTINE
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"WISBECH ST. AUGUSTINE is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1869 from the civil parishes of St. Peter Wisbech and Leverington."
- "The church, erected in 1868-9, and opened in May, 1869, at a cost of about £4,000, is a structure of brick, with stone dressings, in the Early English style consisting of clerestoried nave, aisles and bellicot containing one bell: the reredos, erected in 1878 is of stone the panels being filled in with glass mosaic displaying a central cross with the figures of three angels on either side, bearing on shields the instruments of the Passion: the stained east window, placed 7 Dec. 1883, is a memorial: the west window was filled with stained glass in 1922, in memory of the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there are several other stained windows: the church affords 500 sittings. The register dates from the year 1870. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £400, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely, and held since 1926 by the Rev. Arthur John William Crosse C.B.E., B.A. of the London University." [Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Wisbech St. Augustine: Records of baptisms 1870-1977, marriages 1870-1972 and banns 1960-1977 reside in the WIsbech Museum. [Last updated 21 December 1999 Martin Edwards]
- Please see the Wisbech page for the gazetteers.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wisbech St Augustine to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF463100 (Lat/Lon: 52.667973, 0.162067), Wisbech St Augustine which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)