Hide

Acton (near Nantwich)

hide
Hide

"ACTON, a parish in the hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 1¼ mile (N. W. by W.) from Nantwich, comprising the townships of Acton, Aston juxta Mondrum, Austerson, Baddington, Brindley, Burland, Cholmondstone, Cool-Pilate, Eddleston, Faddiley, Henhull, Hurleston, Newhall, Poole, Stoke, and Worleston, and containing 3777 inhabitants, of which number, 273 are in the township of Acton. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £19. 9. 7, and in the patronage of the Earl of Dysart. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, exhibits some curiously ornamented windows, and the tower is partly in the early style of English architecture. In October 1643, the church and Dorfold hall were occupied by the royalists, on whose retreat both were garrisoned by the parliament. They were afterwards captured by the king's troops under Lord Byron, but on the raising of the siege of Nantwich, Sir Thomas Fairfax compelled the garrisons to surrender. Among the prisoners were sixty officers, including Col. Monk, afterwards Duke of Albemarle. Mr. Wilbraham, of Woodhay, left property for the endowment of two almshouses here, and others at Nantwich: there is also an endowed free school." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Acton, also a township in Acton ancient parish, Nantwich hundred (SJ 6352), became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlet of Dorfold and part of Burford.
  • The population was 262 in 1801, 351 in 1851, 258 in 1901, 293 in 1951, and 311 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Cemeteries

topup

Civil Registration

  • Nantwich (1837-1937)
  • Crewe (1937-74)
  • Congleton & Crewe (1974-88)
  • South Cheshire (1988-98)
  • Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Nantwich (1828-1974)
  • Crewe & Nantwich (1974-92)
  • South Cheshire (1992+)
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Acton (near Nantwich) which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"ACTON, a parish in the hundred of Nantwich, in the county palatine of Chester, 1 mile N.W. of Nantwich. It is situated on the Grand Junction and Ellesmere canals, and contains the townships of Acton Aston-juxta-Mondrum, Austerson, Baddington, Brindley, Burland, Cholmondstone, Cool-Pilate, Eddlestone, Faddiley, Henhull, Hurleston, Newhall, Poole, Stoke, and Worleston, and a part of Sound. It was the seat of the Saxon Earl Morcar, and has descended to the Earl of Dysart through the families of the Levels, Ardens, and Wilbrahams. Here are two almshouses, endowed by Sir R. Wilbraham, and charities producing about £80 per annum, £40 of which is devoted to the maintenance of four poor widows, and apprenticing poor girls. There is a free school. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester, value £627, in the patronage of J. Tollemache Esq., M.P., of Tilstone. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and has some curiously ornamented windows. It is partly in the early. English style, and contains the tombs of the Mainwarings, &c. This church and Dorfold Hall, the seat of the Tomlinsons, were occupied by the royalists in October, 1643, and on their retreat were garrisoned by the parliament. They were taken again by Lord Byron, but the garrisons surrendered to Fairfax after the raising of the siege of Nantwich. In addition to the parish church, there is a district church at Burley Dam, which is now a perpetual curacy, value £100, in the patronage of Viscount Combermere."

"ASTON-JUXTA-MONDRUM, a township in the parish of Acton, hundred of Nantwich, in the county palatine of Chester, 3 miles to the N. of Nantwich. The Chester and Crewe railway passes through it. Braynes Hall, now a farmhouse, is the ancient seat of the Brayne family."

topup

Historical Geography

Places associated with Acton ancient parish with separate pages

 

  • 1888 March 24 — Gained detached parts Nos. 1 and 2 of Dodcott cum Wilkesley (48 acres, pop. 23 in 1891, including the Star public house and Boffey's Farm)
  • 1936 April 1 — Lost part to Nantwich (9 acres, pop. 0 in 1931)

You can see the administrative areas in which Acton (near Nantwich) has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ619510 (Lat/Lon: 53.054627, -2.570157), Acton (near Nantwich) which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Nantwich Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Nantwich Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Crewe & Nantwich (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Nantwich (1837-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1948)
  • Crewe (1949-54)
  • Nantwich (1955-74)